Trying my hand at this

Well, I have said for a while that I would like to start a blog and that one day I would get around to that. Well, my kids aren't getting any younger and I don't want to forget all the silly, funny, loving things they do each day.
I am a homeschooling mother to three precious little girls. Sammy (8 years old), Rachel (7), and Margaret (3).
I have a very loving, hard working husband, Dave! We live up North! We enjoy working and serving in our church and being a blessing to others!

Friday 6 May 2011

My Dad emailed me this video today.
When I was 14 years old our house burned down.  I had been deep-frying corn dogs and left the grease on the stove and thought I turned the burner off.  Instead I turned it on high and then went next door to my Grandmothers house where we would eat the corn dogs.  The grease caught fire and burned the house down.  Everything was destroyed except the log walls remained standing.
Anyway after this I became ill with Mono and couldn't seem to shake it for over 9 months.  My parents and family cleaned up the mess from the fire and rebuilt the house (with LOTS of help from friends and relatives). I stayed in bed or resting most of that time.
I needed something to occupy my thoughts during this time.  My Mom told me that her grandmother collected hummingbirds.  So, I started a collection.  People would give me little hummingbird figurines and such for gifts.  I really loved it!  Then someone told me that if I put a feeder out that I would be able to watch "live" hummingbirds.  So, I put one feeder out.  Within a few days I had a few hummingbirds at my feeder.
We lived in a little one room canning kitchen during the 9 months that it took to rebuild the house.  This little kitchen had a sink and a wood-burning cook stove and a gas stove/oven.  We had a camper parked beside it that had a little bathroom in it that we could use.  This canning kitchen was in between my grandmother's house (Nannie) and my Dad's sister's house.  So, we could make use of their bathrooms too.  Just take a little hike :)
So, when we were able to move back into our house I hung a feeder up there and the hummingbirds just followed.  Every year I would hang a feeder up and then we started getting so many birds that I added another feeder. I enjoyed reading about them and learning about the different kinds.
 I graduated from highschool and moved off to college, then got married and moved to Canada, but my parents kept up feeding those hummingbirds.  They have LOTS now.  I still enjoy watching them.  I thank the Lord for HIS creation! These little creatures are magnificent!!!
My Dad was so sweet to video my hummingbirds for me!!!!
Thank you, Dad.  I love you!

1 comment:

  1. I just love the hummers. We have 7 feeders hung up right now and need more. They have to be filled every day. Now we have Martins in our Martin Box. We also have these cute little House Finch and Cardinals. We love sitting out in the porch swing and watch them. You are right! God is so good to us. I am so glad that we went through that time of our house troubles because you kids learned so much about life that year. God answered our prayers, met our needs, and gave us comfort!

    ReplyDelete